OJS plugin submission failure

Hi. The last batch of articles on OJS has failed to assign DOIs, even though it was all working fine before and afaik nothing has changed in the interim. Seems that the plugin is sending correctly, but failing to register. Failure notification says:

Submission was not successful! The DOI registration server returned an error: '1 - HTTP/1.1 100 Continue

HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
crossref-deployment-name: ds3-2
content-length: 0
date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 08:48:20 GMT
permissions-policy: interest-cohort=()

What should I do to fix this?

Thanks for your help.

OJS is version 3.0.2.0

1 Like

Hi @DavidR ,

Thanks for posting your message here, and welcome to the community forum!

If you’re using an older version of the Crossref-OJS plugin, that is likely the cause of your error. You have to be on version 3.1.2 of the Crossref XML Export plugin in order to register content automatically.

On version 3.1.1 you can still use the XML export and upload that manually, but you can’t deposit directly via the plugin.

If you have additional questions please see the PKP Community Forum or contact the Support team at PKP, the organization responsible for the Open Journal System (OJS). Because OJS is not our system, we’re very limited in how much we can help you with its use.

My best,
Isaac

Hi Isaac,

We were previously able to upload automatically… That’s what’s confusing me. Nothing has changed at the OJS end - it looks like it was rejected by CrossRef, not OJS.

I have asked for help through the contact form twice already, but haven’t got a reply… That’s why I’m posting here :slight_smile:

But for earlier OJS versions, will you restore automatic registration?

We’re investigating for those older versions @DavidR and @karwas .

David, sorry for the slow response using our contact form. You can always reach us at support@crossref.org as well.

-Isaac

I posted an update on the PKP forum. It appears the API is usable again, though please read on.

Typically we would not end the life of a service so swiftly. However, we are about to release a new version of our REST API on July 13 and we can’t guarantee that this old v1 deposit API will continue to work after that date.

The v1 deposit API is deprecated and unsupported - if, during the REST API roll out, the v1 deposit API breaks, we might not be able to fix it I’m afraid.

If that happens, you can continue to export your xml, and upload it to Crossref’s systems. However, we strongly suggest to upgrade your OJS instance to a supported version that makes use of our v2 deposit API.

I’m very sorry our communications around this haven’t been better.

1 Like

A message to anyone following along on this thread:

Hi again.

Our analysis of the usage of our dedicated OJS v1 deposit API (used in older versions of OJS, 3.1.1 and earlier) suggested that it wasn’t being used, and we didn’t have information on the installations of older versions of OJS. It turns out there are still a few of you.

Typically, we would not intentionally remove a service so suddenly, without notifying users, however, in the final stages before we released a new version of our REST API (July 13) we discovered that it might have an impact on this OJS v1 deposit API. The v1 deposit API was deprecated and unsupported, as is the case for the older versions of OJS as notified by PKP. We took the decision to release the new REST API knowing that if the v1 deposit API were to break, we may not be able to fix it, but that there were workarounds for our members:

• you can continue to export your xml, and upload it to Crossref’s systems; or
  • you could—-and probably should—-upgrade your OJS instance to a supported version that makes use of the v2 deposit API (OJS 3.1.2 or higher).

On rolling out our new REST API the v1 deposit API did indeed break, and we’re not able to make it work again. I’m really sorry that we didn’t communicate that this would happen and that it has caused some disruption to a few of our members registering content automatically via OJS. I will ensure we learn lessons from this and update our deprecation plans for the future.

A previous message from PKP is here

And details on upgrading your OJS is here

1 Like

Just check if this article helps. We have configured our entire OJS platform through this article. Read here https://typeset.io/resources/the-a-z-of-open-journal-systems-ojs-3-user-guide/

2 Likes

That looks very helpful. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like