Mudança de ISSN e título

Olá ao todos da Crossref,

Estou com uma dúvida a respeito da atualização do ISSN no caso dos depósitos de DOI por XML. Seria possível mudar o ISSN e título vinculados do artigo depois dele ter sido depositado?
Além disso, gostaria de saber também qual seria a prática recomendada para quando um título muda de nome e recebe um novo ISSN no caso dos depósitos de DOI?

Agradeço pela atenção e fico aguardando a resposta.

Atenciosamente.

Hello @rairaalves ,

Thanks for these questions! See my responses below.

Would it be possible to change the linked ISSN and title of the article after it has been deposited?

Yes, absolutely. We have a rigid title check/lock process in our system. We assume that the first journal title that you send us for a journal/ISSN will not change over time. So, that initial submission of the journal sets the ISSN and journal title. We then check that for each subsequent deposit. If the ISSN(s) and journal title match that initial registration (and, the title we are holding in our admin tool records), we allow the submission to proceed. If the ISSN(s) and/or journal title do not match, we fail the submission with a submission error that looks like this:

ISSN “{ISSN}” has already been assigned to a different title

So, yes, you can update that journal title, but you need to notify us if you’re changing or updating the title from its initial registration. You can send us the details to support@crossref.org and we’ll make the changes. Once we make the changes, you’ll be able to submit or resubmit metadata using that title/ISSN combination.

In addition, I would also like to know what would be the recommended practice for when a title changes its name and receives a new ISSN in the case of DOI deposits?

If the title change is significant enough to warrant a new ISSN through the ISSN Centre/Portal, our system and the ISSN Centre will consider this a new journal and, thus, your initial submission of that significantly different journal title and new ISSN(s) will create a new title record in our system. Let’s look at a hypothetical example:

So, let’s say that for the first 20 years of publication, your journal was called: Journal of Stuff under ISSN 1234-5678

If, in year 21, you decide to update that title to The International Stuff and Things Review the way in which that journal is cited is significantly different and warrants a new ISSN, as the ISSN Centre/Portal would recommend, so you’d get a new ISSN due to that journal title update. Let’s say that ISSN is 1235-7890. You’d then submit us your first registration with that new journal title and ISSN combination The International Stuff and Things Review/1235-7890. Your initial registration would create a record in our system, but there’s no intervention needed from our team to allow for that new journal title and ISSN, since both are new to us and the system.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or comments,
Isaac

2 Likes

Olá Isaac,

Obrigada pela rápida resposta!

Com base no que você falou, fiquei com uma outra dúvida. Se eu solicitar a atualização do título do jornal, o ISSN anterior será atualizados em todos os depósitos? Ou o novo ISSN ficará vinculado apenas aos novos DOIs depositados?

Atenciosamente,
Raíra

Thanks for following up @rairaalves . See my responses below.

If I request an update of the journal title, will the previous ISSN be updated in all deposits?

No, and I don’t think it should be. If you registered your journal articles using the previous title and ISSN, you should leave that metadata as it is. DOIs are really citation identifiers, so end users (e.g., researchers) will find and cite those journal articles using the previous title and ISSN.

Or will the new ISSN be linked only to the new DOIs deposited?

The new ISSN and title should only be used for deposits of new DOIs, where the title and ISSN were used in the publication and registration of those articles.

Warm regards,
Isaac

Muito obrigada pelos esclarecimentos, Isaac!

Atenciosamente,
Raíra

1 Like