TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'toLowerCase')

Hello,

I’m trying to deposit one article and 2 translations using metadata manager, but I kept receiving the error message

TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading ‘toLowerCase’)

Any idea of what am I doing wrong?

Hi @Denis ,

Thanks for your message. What is your Crossref username?

This error TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading ‘toLowerCase’) is one of the bugs in Metadata Manager that consistently occurs for members. Sometimes it is the result of copying and pasting bad characters into Metadata Manager. Other times, members attempt to import existing DOIs and special characters trigger this error after the import. It’s a challenging error to correct and one of the reasons why we decided to retire Metadata Manager. Our technical team continues to work on a replacement.

If you can share your username, I’ll take a look and see if I can determine and correct the cause of the error. I will say that I have not been able to correct all instances of this error in the past.

My best,
Isaac

Oh, I see. I appreciate it. My username is [ufpr] and I have 6 articles that failed.

1 Like

Thanks for providing me with the username, @Denis.

There were a couple of things going on here:

1. in order to establish relations, the DOIs being related must be registered with us. Several of the related DOIs in these submissions had not been registered with us, so that was causing a submission error. Once I removed those relations, I could register the DOIs and then resubmit the metadata with the relations. Please double check my work to ensure I didn’t miss any relations. For instance, an error was being triggered because this DOI had not yet been registered but was being included in relations:

Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 9.03.44 PM

1. Another issue for some of the registrations was the title in all caps. Some of those characters with diacritics are finicky when they are included in all caps of a title. I updated the case of the titles that failed and that resulted in successful registrations. All six of your DOIs have now been registered. Like I said, please review my work to ensure all relations and titles are now correct.

My best,
Isaac