Allowed tags inside an abstract

I am working on code to add a jats:abstract element to my xml document which correctly validates with the crossref validation service. I have found sometimes the validation fails if the abstract contains an html tag. This fails even if I prefix the tag with the ‘jats:’ namespace. For now my code just removes any tags from the abstract when submitting to crossref.

Is there a known list of tags that are not allowed within an abstract?

Hello @mklem,

Thanks again for your forum posts.

So the allowed tags inside the abstract element can be found when checking against our schema here: Schema documentation for JATS-journalpublishing1-3d2-mathml3-elements.xsd

When clicking into those sections you can see accepted tags based on the JATS schema that we use for the abstract element in our schema. You would probably be looking at importing the <p> element inside of the <abstract> element. But looking at the documentation, it can be a little complicated and so removing all tags and formatting inside the abstract is probably the best option.

If you are getting failures with the XML then do feel free to send that over to me so that I can take a look at it and try and fix any issues.

I hope this helps and if you have any further question or queries on this then please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Many thanks,
Paul

2 Likes