Upgrade from iThenticate v1 to iThenticate v2

I just found a post that iThenticate v2 users have access to AI writing detection tool. I’m now a v1 user, so how to upgrade to a v2 user?

BTW, is the AI writing detection tool free to iThenticate users?

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in upgrading to iThenticate v2. However, at this time you are ineligible for an upgrade because you are currently not registering Similarity Check URLs for at least 90% of your content.

As mentioned in our message, please take the time to do the first two steps listed below:

Step 1: Make sure that you are continuing to register Similarity Check URLs for at least 90% of your content. You can do this on our eligibility checker. If you have dropped below 90%, the eligibility checker will let you download a CSV file showing all the DOIs that are missing these URLs, and provide instructions for how to add them.

Step 2: If you have dropped below 90%, check your current content registrations with Crossref. Are you definitely including Similarity Check URLs in the metadata for all new content that you are registering with us? You may need to check with your platform on this.

Once you’ve successfully added full-text URLs specifically for the Similarity Check service to your metadata, you can check your eligibility again here. When you get above 90%, please let us know.

AI detection and AI paraphrase detection

In the future, you’ll have the option to add AI detection and AI paraphrase detection into your iThenticate v2 account. We do not have a firm date yet from Turnitin on when this tool will be available. This is not mandatory - you can continue to use the service without AI detection and AI paraphrase detection. But if you do choose to add AI detection and AI paraphrase detection to your account, there will be a percentage increase to the fee for every single manuscript that you check from that point onward. For more information, do take a look at this webinar. We’ll be in touch in the next couple of months to let you know when AI detection and AI paraphrase detection is available for you to optionally switch on in your account.

I hope this helps - please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

Warm regards,
Kathleen

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for your information. It helps me a lot but I still have some questions.

1. What is Similarity Check URLs used for? Why is this mandatory before upgrading to iThenticate v2?
  2. You mentioned that you do not have a firm date yet from Turnitin on when AI detection tool will be available, does this mean this tool is unavailable currently for all Crossref users including iThenticate v2 users?
  3. Is there a specific percentage increase to the fee for AI detection tool? I checked the webinar you shared but the professionals did not clarify the fee.

Thanks a lot,
Cyan

Hi Cyan,

Technically, when a member applies for the Similarity Check service, they should be meeting this 90% threshold. Then, they are required to stay at this threshold in order to maintain eligibility for the service.

However, it looks like you have dropped well below this, and you’ll need to remedy this before we can move forward with your upgrade.

A little bit more information about why we need these full-text Similarity Check URLs: The reason that Crossref members get a reduced rate is that they provide links to the full text of their own published content in the metadata that they register with us, which can then be indexed by Turnitin into the iThenticate database. This improves the tool for everyone.

To participate in this service you need to have registered your content with Crossref and included full-text links for Similarity Check in the metadata of more than 90% of your journal-level article records. (Even if your full-text URLs are the same as your DOI resource resolution URLs, you will still need to enter them separately in your metadata as full-text URLs specifically for the Similarity Check service).

As for your other two questions regarding the AI tool: 1) You are correct, Crossref users already on iThenticate v2 currently do not have access to this AI tool at this time. There was a short period of testing at the end of 2023, but that has come to a close. We don’t have an exact date yet on when it will begin to be available to users again; and 2) We don’t have a specific percentage of what that cost increase will be at this time. We’re working with Turnitin to get this number, and will let our members know as soon as we have all the details.

The the meantime, I would suggest following the instructions to add the full-text Similarity Check URLs to your existing content and then making sure that you’re including it going forward on all future deposits, as this is a requirement of using the service, whether you are on v1 or v2. Then, once you’re at 90%, we can get you upgraded to v2 so that everything will be in place for you when the AI tool does become available.

I hope that helps clear up some things. Please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you,
Kathleen

1 Like

Hi there,

I’m wondering whether the Turnitin AI Detection is available now?

Best,
Cyan

Hi Cyan,

We don’t currently have a concrete date on when this tool will be available, but we’ve made a note of your enquiry, and we’ll contact you when we know more.

Thank you for your patience,
-Kathleen

1 Like