Understanding the options at the License field in Metadata Manager

Hello everyone!

At the License field there are 3 option where you choose where the content applies to (see picture below).

I would like to understand the difference between the options: Text and Data Mining, Version of Record and Accepted Manuscript.

Could someone give me examples?

:slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Bruna,

Thanks for your message. You can read more about these four access indicators here: https://0-support-crossref-org.libus.csd.mu.edu/hc/en-us/articles/214572423-License-metadata-Access-Indicators-

The version of record is the official, final published record of the journal article (in this case). So, let’s say that you want to apply an open-access license to that official, final published record of your journal article: You could do so by selecting version of record and linking to an open-access license. Again, for example, this is a popular open-access license: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/. And, if your version of record was published using CC-BY 4.0, you’d link to that license URL in the previous sentence.

Licenses specific to the accepted manuscript, the version of the article accepted for publication including all changes made as a result of the peer review process but excluding additional editing or formatting by the publisher, can also be included in your metadata. This access indicator is similar to the version of record, but only applies to the work as an accepted manuscript.

Text and data mining (TDM) is the automatic analysis and extraction of information from large numbers of documents. Researchers are increasingly interested performing text and data mining on scholarly content. This requires automated access to the full-text content of large numbers of articles. Crossref metadata helps researchers get access to this content and enables publishers to provide it. This access indicator is the license specific to text and data mining of this journal article.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Kind regards,
Isaac

1 Like

Hi Bruna,

Let me have a go (I’m actually doing some work on a piece that explains a bit more about license metadata at the moment).

Version of Record = the license that applies to the ‘main’ version of the article on the journal site that has been typeset, copyedited and officially ‘published’ in a journal.

Accepted manuscript = some publishers have different options for what can be done with the author’s accepted manuscript (the final draft author manuscript, as accepted for publication by a journal, before it has undergone copyediting, typesetting and proof correction) compared to the Version of Record. So publishers can reflect these slightly different terms by posting a link to them in the Crossref metadata.

Text & Data Mining = some publishers have separate licenses for those researchers interested in text mining their content, so they can post those specifically for researchers interested in using the content in this way.

I’d say that if you’re publishing open access using a Creative Commons license, you can put the URL of the Creative Commons license for each license type. If you’re a publisher who has different licenses for each version or use-case, then you can provide separate ones for each.

If you have more questions about this, just shout and I’ll do my best to get back to you

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dear Rachael and Issac Farley,

Thank you for explanation of the important section of License.

Anjum

3 Likes

Thank you all, the posts are extremely helpful!

2 Likes

@ifarley and @rlammey,

According to our discussion here, version of record would be adequate for my situation (as an article typset, copyedited and officially publishes in a journal under a CC BY 4.0 license).

However, if I choose this option (version of record) at Metadata Manager, I won’t be adding the tag TDM (text and data mining) to my metadata, right?

And, if I do not add that TAG, I will never improve my percentage at my Participation Reports… correct?

So, should I start choosing Text and Data Mining instead? Also, should I encourage others to do it too? :slight_smile:

Please, let me know if I’m understanding it properly!

1 Like

Hi Bruna,

It’s a good question. Here’s my take on it:

However, if I choose this option (version of record) at Metadata Manager, I won’t be adding the tag TDM (text and data mining) to my metadata, right?

• I don’t think you need to add the Creative Commons license information tied to ‘TDM’ as well. Applying a Creative Commons license to the version of record says ‘yep, you can text mine this too’ as it’s understood that CC-BY 4.0 allows text mining.

And, if I do not add that TAG, I will never improve my percentage at my Participation Reports… correct?

• The text-mining tag in the Participation Reports tool isn’t related to having the text-mining license field filled in. It’s related to having a full-text link to the paper in the metadata so that anyone wanting to mine it using the Crossref metadata can jump straight to the full-text to do so, rather than having to go to the landing page and hunting around for it. We need to add that full-text field to Metadata Manager (there is a request in for this, our bad that we missed it!) so that you can deposit it - that will then contribute to improving that field in the Participation Reports.

So, should I start choosing Text and Data Mining instead? Also, should I encourage others to do it too? :slight_smile:

• I think if you’re registering a CC license related to the version of record that’s the best way to work with the license information - you don’t need to duplicate the effort or the metadata. It would really only be if you had a text-mining license that was different to the license you have for your version of record that you’d need to do this.

Does that help? Let me know if I’m not being clear or anything merits a bit more explanation :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome! Got it!!

Ok, awesome again, haha.

Sure. I understand it completely now!

That’s cool. Metadata Manager is so good and if it keeps improving will become the best tool ever:)

@rlammey, you are very good at explaning, thank you once again for helping me :slight_smile:

2 Likes