Referring to Conference and Journal in the same citation

First post, so forgive any ignorance displayed in this question:

I work for a publisher and we publish a journal that has a close relationship with a conference; an important community in this field. Authors of full papers at the Conference are given the option of submitting to the Journal. We have worked out an integrated review process whereby the reviews performed for the conference count towards the journal’s review process. This makes it efficient and pleasing to all parties. The articles are published in the journal but they contain a statement that acknowledges that the article derives from the conference. The journal is online-only, OA and continuous, so the conference-derived articles are not published in a special issue, but they are curated on the journal website on a special collection page dedicated to the conference.

In the past, the same conference has published its proceedings independently: some years as a single PDF in a repository, in other years via a professional publisher. When published independently, the automatically generated citation style for the proceedings as a whole from the repository (and for the individual articles in the professionally published case) have contained the proceedings title as the title of the publication (e.g. 9th Conference of X, 2021).

When the articles from the Conference are published within the journal, the citation style of course just refers to the journal as the publication.

My question is whether there is a way of referring both to the journal and the conference within a single citation, without breaking rules with regards to citation standards, metadata or machine readability.

For example, is there a precedent within citation styles for a sub-journal category (such as special section)? If so, could this be used in the scenario that I describe?

Hi @ahyde ,

Thanks for your message, and welcome to the Community Forum. I’d like to discuss this with my colleagues to just be fully confident I am giving you the most accurate guidance.

Does the journal and conference use distinct ISSNs and titles? If so, can you just confirm both sets for me? Which ISSNs/title do you use for the journal, and the conference?

Warm regards,
Isaac

Hi Isaac,

Thanks for your reply!

The journal’s ISSN is 2634-4602. Title: Environmental Data Science.

The conference proceedings don’t have an ISSN.

The 2020 edition of the conference (CI2020: Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Climate Informatics) was published through ACM and was given an ISBN of 978-1-4503-8848-1.

This predates the relationship with the journal. For years 2022 and 2023 - the years that the Conference papers have been published in Environmental Data Science - there is no ISSN or ISBN for the proceedings.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the additional details.

If we think of the DOIs published under the journal-level metadata versus the DOIs published under the conference-level metadata as citation identifiers, then DOIs published within the journal (using ISSN: 2634-4602 and Title: Environmental Data Science) would be cited differently from DOIs published within the conference (ISBN: 978-1-4503-8848-1 and Title: CI2020: Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Climate Informatics (for the 2020 examples)). Thus, they should have distinct DOIs and would be cited differently. And, unfortunately, there’s no single citation that would be used for the journal and the conference.

Furthermore, if a work is published in the conference and then again in the journal, it would be cited differently given that the title-level metadata would differ, so therefore the works should have distinct DOIs registered with us (and, again be cited differently).

Now, in order to connect the two works, again if they are published in the conference and then again in the journal, we’d recommend using an intra-work relationship to signal that the works are related. If no new editing, reviewing, etc. is conducted on the work between what is published in the conference versus the journal, then we would recommend including an isIdenticalTo relationship in the metadata of each DOI in this scenario.

That’s perhaps a bit more than you requested, but wanted to be thorough and cover all possible scenarios here, Andrew.

Do let me know if you have any additional questions,
Isaac

Dear Isaac,

Thanks for the reply. I think I may not have been clear enough, however.

Since the relationship between the conference and the journal began, there’s only one title issuing DOIs: the journal.

Content from the 2022 Conference was published in the journal and not elsewhere. There’s no 2022 Proceedings of the Conference publication outside of the journal. The only DOIs for 2022 conference articles are those that are issued by the journal.

The same will be true in 2023.

My question is more to do with citation styles and what is acceptable.

So if I take an article from the 2022 Conference published in the journal, this is the citation:

Seamon, E., Gessler, P., Abatzoglou, J., Mote, P., & Lee, S. (2022). A climatic random forest model of agricultural insurance loss for the Northwest United States. Environmental Data Science, 1 , E29. doi:10.1017/eds.2022.27

i.e. Authors (Year). Article Title. Publication. Vol. E-Number. Journal-generated DOI.

Is there an acceptable way of referring to the conference within the citation for the article in the journal:

Seamon, E., Gessler, P., Abatzoglou, J., Mote, P., & Lee, S. (2022). A climatic random forest model of agricultural insurance loss for the Northwest United States. From the Proceedings of the 11th Climate Informatics Conference, 2022. Environmental Data Science, 1 , E29. doi:10.1017/eds.2022.27

i.e. Authors (Year). Article Title. Conference. Publication. Vol. E-Number. Journal-generated DOI.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for following up and providing additional clarity. I think you’re providing additional information here to further justify my initial answer.

DOIs are really citation identifiers. They’re definitively and persistently identifying how/where/why they were cited. Thus, if a researcher is citing the work as a journal article, you should register a DOI for that journal article so they can do so (which you have done - thank you). But, there should be a DOI for the work as a conference paper, too, so a different researcher, if they are citing the work as a conference paper can do so as well.

DOI 10.1017/eds.2022.27 only refers to the work as a journal article. The DOI is only meant to identify the work for this citation:

Seamon, E., Gessler, P., Abatzoglou, J., Mote, P., & Lee, S. (2022). A climatic random forest model of agricultural insurance loss for the Northwest United States. *Environmental Data Science,* *1* , E29.

Therefore, no there is not a citation type that is appropriate for citing both the work as a journal article and a conference paper. Best practice would be to register both works with unique DOIs, so that researchers could clearly cite one or the other.

DOI 10.1017/eds.2022.27
Seamon, E., Gessler, P., Abatzoglou, J., Mote, P., & Lee, S. (2022). A climatic random forest model of agricultural insurance loss for the Northwest United States. Environmental Data Science, 1 , E29.

2nd DOI (unregistered thus far)
Seamon, E., Gessler, P., Abatzoglou, J., Mote, P., & Lee, S. (2022). A climatic random forest model of agricultural insurance loss for the Northwest United States. From the Proceedings of the 11th Climate Informatics Conference, 2022.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions,
Isaac