Creating Component registration XML

Hello Team,

I am implementing Component Registration by XML deposit. I am going to use the standalone registration as we do have components with one, some with more and some with no relation to a book.

In tag sa_component is a required attribute parent_relation. How to use it if a component has more than one relation? would I send two records with the same component but different parent_relation DOIs?

How to tag if a component has no relation to another publication?

Thanks
Herbert

Hi Herbert,

Thanks for your question.

Components are only intended to be used for supplementary materials (e.g. figures, charts, tables, etc.) that have a single parent-child relationship to some publication.

If an item exists in some way outside of one particular parent publication (article, book chapter, report, etc.), then it should not be registered as a component.

Best,
Shayn

Thanks for clarification.
What about this:
Components may belong to more than one parent item. For example, two journal articles may include the same component DOI.
from here:
https://0-www-crossref-org.libus.csd.mu.edu/documentation/content-registration/structural-metadata/components/

Hi,

Yes, that’s kind of a grey area, but the gist is that the components shouldn’t have any kind of independent life of their own. They necessarily need to be in a parent-child relationship.

If there are two discrete articles that share an image, you can deposit the component DOI twice, once with each parent.

Best,
Shayn

1 Like